Sunday, February 3, 2008

Weather is here ... wish you were beautiful...

Hola!

Two o'clock in the morning here in dark Cabo (yes, the sun sets in paradise), and we're wide awake, mostly because we went to bed at 7, which is mostly because the Pina Colado/Margarita happy hour was from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., and we took full advantage of it!

Liza updated you on most of the first full day at the southern tip of Baja, but she left out one important detail... Cameron is afraid of deep water.

We were at the time share tour (just say no, and you'll still get $200 off your rental car!), and the resort sports a rooftop pool, complete with a water slide. Cameron sees the water slide, and says, "Can I go down that?" Heck, we're on vacation... "You bet," I said. "Let me go down to the bottom." I vaguely remember hearing Rosio (Roh-see-oh) ask Liza, "Can he swim?"

For the record, Cameron can "swim," although he looks like one of those special kids in therapy when he does--his hips go all over the place, kind of an underwater Macarena. But, technically, he can swim.

So I'm sauntering down the stairs, and I hear this panicked gasp, and a watery scream, and I start sprinting down the stairs. There, flailing helplessly in the water, is my son. He apparently forgot he could swim.

Two older women were sitting in lounge chairs across the pool, and they were slowly standing up to go rescue The Chief--one was almost vertical in her walker--when I arrived, hopped in (yes, fully clothed) and pulled my son out of harm's way.

That's right... I saved his life. And got my wallet wet.

The rest of the day was just great--we swam until our skin pruned, had lunch (quesadillas in the condo) and, as mentioned above, enjoyed happy hour.

I did get up at the crack of dawn Saturday and walk down to the beach, fly rod in hand. I made few clumsy casts--not a fan of the weighted shooting head, but that's the way it's done down here--and got one hit. I set the hook and lost my entire leader. Not sure how I managed that, but I'm guessing the critter was pretty toothy!

We'll keep trying to post photos, but just getting this far with the blogger has been a challenge. Stay tuned... if you don't hear from us, know we're having a blast. Whale watching today, and then wave runners! More boogie boarding this afternoon... still have sand in my ... uh... ears.

Love to all...

4 comments:

libbymorton said...

Can you say ...baracuda !!!!!!

idahonana said...

If I recall you did something very much like that once. Like Father - Like son.

lishajeanne said...

sand gets everywhere! oh and by the way you will still be finding it in a couple weeks. But boogie boarding is too fun to care! Sounds like you are having a blast! Hope the whales are out and about as promised!

Mindy said...

While you're enjoying sand, sun, and surf.....we have MORE snow! Sigh....yes, once again, we got dumped on. Glad you're having a wonderful time. Liza, I'm filling in for you in the mornings, but a far cry from filling your shoes!